Dr Frances Howie
Department of Apprenticeships & CPD
tel: 01905 542649
I have worked in senior public health practice roles for over 30 years and feel privileged to be now working with the education of the next generation of health and care professionals. I have extensive experience of work-based learning for public health registrars and practitioners and am now committed to embedding public health expert knowledge in the academic setting at the University.
I have worked in the North-East, Kent, Birmingham, Herefordshire and Worcestershire. For the 14 years immediately prior to joining the University I worked in senior public health roles in Herefordshire and Worcestershire, most recently as Director of Public Health for Worcestershire.
The two registration bodies for professional public health qualifications are the Faculty of Public Health (FPH) and the UK Public Health Register (UKPHR.) I am Deputy Faculty Advisor for the West Midlands for the FPH and am an active registrant at UKPHR, serving as a verifier at practitioner level and a specialist assessor at consultant level.
- PhD Sociology (University of Kent)
- MSc Master’s in Public Health (MPH, University of Birmingham)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Improving Health and Well-being through Leadership (University of Teeside)
- BA Sociology (University of Sussex)
- SFHEA Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Teaching & Research
- Public health, across all areas of the national curricula, and across the three domains of public health practice (health improvement, health protection and healthcare public health)
- Evidence-based practice
- Health inequalities
- Leadership and management.
- I supervise PhDs on Physician Associate Prescribing and on Social Prescribing.
- I teach MSc in Advanced Clinical Practice.
I have particular research interests in:
- Inner-city community midwifery
- Social prescribing
- Health inequalities.
Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health
Specialist registrant of the UK Public Health Register
I regularly present at local and regional conferences, and recently I have presented on:
- Suicide prevention
- Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Prevention Overcoming Alcohol Addiction
Specialist assessor for UKPHR specialist registration
Verifier for UKPHR practitioner registration
Educational supervisor for registrars within 5 year specialist training as public health consultants
Educational supervisor for doctors in training (GP and FY2 training)
Director of Public Health for Worcestershire.