The Institute has access to a diverse range of sports facilities and specialist laboratories for teaching and research.
Our sports facilities
The University has excellent facilities supporting participation in sports, exercise and recreation, as well as academic study pathways. Students wishing to use the exercise facilities pay a small membership fee.
- University of Worcester Arena - an indoor 2000 seat/12 court sport venue, supported by a conference suite and break out rooms, media and catering facilities.
- St John's Sports Centre - a 6 court sports hall, full air conditioned fitness suite and gymnasium hall. Outdoor full size 3G AstroTurf and sand-filled AstroTurf.
- Riverside Centre - 2 court hall, dance studios, 2 performance analysis suites.
- McClelland Centre of Health and Wellbeing - exercise suite comprising free weight, cv and select-a-block equipment, and 6 clinician rooms in an adjoining therapy suite.
- Motion Performance Centre - a suite of laboratories supporting the study of physiology, psychology and bio-mechanics.
- Lakeside Campus - the 50 acre site, includes a water sports lake, grass pitches, woodlands and an activity centre.
In addition, there are numerous sport clubs offering memberships based in the Students' Union. For the competitively minded, the University is a member of British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS).
The University Arena provides a new first-class multi-purpose home for recreational and high-performance sport for the University and City. The Arena has a 2000 seating capacity and a range of sports, fitness, therapy and conference facilities. The facility is purposely designed for wheelchair and mobility impaired athletes strengthening our capability to offer the country's first sports coaching science degree specializing in Disability Sport.
The recently refurbished Riverside Centre
that opened in September 2011 offers two large teaching spaces with multi-purpose sprung floors for indoor mini-games and dance and further smaller teaching rooms and Performance Analysis suites that include views to the two larger teaching spaces. The Performance Analysis Suites are equipped with 30 computers in total, licensed with the latest performance analysis software including Swinger, Quintic, Dartfish, SportsCode Elite and ProZone. A social learning internet café space is also available within this attractive venue.
Human performance Laboratories
Fully air conditioned facilities for physiological assessment with equipment for online gas analysis, blood analysis and ECG monitoring to determine performance parameters such as lactate threshold and anaerobic power during activities such as walking, cycling, running and rowing.
Motion capture and biomechanics laboratory
One of the largest dedicated 3D motion capture facilities in the United Kingdom at the heart of the Motion and Performance Centre. Equipment within the laboratory includes a Vicon 3D motion capture system, forceplates, electromyography and isokinetic dynamometry.
A world-leading climate controlled room within the NPARU capable of recreating extreme climate types and environmental conditions.
Sports centre and fitness suite
St John's Sports Centre
is home to a large sports hall, fitness suite, gymnasia and dance studio.
McClelland Health Centre
Based at the University's City Campus and focused on personal health and wellbeing. The McClelland Centre
has an exercise suite and facilities for massage and sports therapy.