The Centre for Academic English and Skills can give you practical advice on how to improve your academic writing skills by giving you personalised feedback. We offer tutorials in which we answer specific questions and comment on samples of your work or simply give advice about writing techniques and areas you would like to improve in.
"Thank you so much for your help! Those suggestions have really improved my work and highlighted errors I make without realising."
Sally, March 2021
In our tutorials we can support your writing by advising on areas such as:
- understanding assignment questions
- understanding tutor feedback and comments
- academic style
- planning and structuring written assignments
- critical thinking
- referencing and citation
- techniques for proofreading
- punctuation and sentence structure
- producing effective PowerPoints for presentations
- grammar and vocabulary (useful for students whose first language is not English)
"The feedback is really helpful and I'll be able to use that to make my work better!"
Ceri, December 2021
What types of tutorials are available at the Centre for Academic English and Skills?
- Email tutorials in which you will receive personalised feedback in an email (the quickest way to receive feedback on your work);
- Individual face-to-face tutorials (in person/Zoom/Teams);
- Group face-to-face tutorials (in person/Zoom/Teams) for groups of students with similar questions from the same course.
When can you book AWG tutorials?
You can book AWG tutorials throughout the year, with the exception of the Christmas and Easter breaks (see University term dates).
How to book an AWG tutorial
Please note that the Academic Writing Guidance booking system will be unavailable between Tuesday 20th December 2022 and Monday 2nd January 2023 inclusive.
To request a tutorial, click on the link below:
A tutor will respond as soon as possible (usually within 3 working days). This may take longer at busier times of the year (e.g. during assessment periods). You will be notified if there is no availability for a particular week.
"Thanks so much for the feedback and encouragement - much needed right now."
Sam, December 2020
We are not a proofreading service, and we can only spend up to 30 minutes for each tutorial. We are not subject specialists, so we cannot advise on the actual subject-content (or grade your work).