1. What is a visa?

Most students who are nationals of a country that is not a member of the EEA or EU will need to apply for a student visa to come and study at the University of Worcester.

2. How will I know if I need a visa?

It is very important to check whether you require a visa to enter the UK to study. Students from EEA/EU countries do not normally require a visa to study in the UK.

For further information, please refer to UKCISA website.

3. Information for EU members

It’s easy to study in the UK – most European students don’t even require a visa.

Your Immigration Status

If you are an EU or EEA national and have been accepted on a course, you are entitled to enter the UK freely and you have the right of residence for the duration of your study. You will need a valid passport.

Students with Families

The UK Home Office can issue you with a residence permit confirming your right of residence as a student and this may be helpful if you are married to a non-EEA/EU national or have non-EEA/EU national children who wish to live with you in the UK

If you have any questions, you can contact the International Centre or your local British Embassy.

4. Information for non-EU applicants 

For full-time study of longer than six months it is compulsory for you to apply through Entry Clearance for a General Student Visa under Tier 4 of the new Points Based System before travelling to the UK. To apply for a student visa you will need a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Study) number issued by the University of Worcester. For full-time study of less than six months, perhaps as an exchange or study abroad student, you are eligible to apply for either a student Entry Clearance (a Tier 4 visa) or a student visitor visa. See the website link for more information on visa categories and how to apply.

5. How do I apply?

You can apply for Entry Clearance (visa) for both Tier 4 General Student and student visitor visas at the British Embassy or High Commission or Consulate) nearest to where you live. Please see the UKVI/Visa and Immigration's website website for relevant Embassy contact details.

Embassy procedures and processing times may vary, but these can be checked online. When applying, read the eligibility requirements carefully. 

You must score 40 points in total to apply. These points are made up from:

  • 30 points for a CAS – (you will receive the CAS number from the University of Worcester when your offer is unconditional)
  • 10 points for having enough money (also known as maintenance or funds) for your course fees and living costs as detailed on the application form guidance notes

BSaveiometric data collection:

All applicants are required to supply 10-digit finger scans and a digital photograph when applying for a UK visa. Contact your nearest British Embassy for more information.

CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)

The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a ‘virtual’ number and not a document or piece of paper. You will need this number to insert into your visa application form and it will prove that you have an unconditional offer at the University of Worcester. This will be sent to you via email.

Further Information

If you have any questions about obtaining your visa, please send an email to international@worc.ac.uk or telephone us on +44 1905 542640.

Indian visa applications

This short video follows the real experience of Indian student visa applicants and provides a great insight into the process.

Chinese visa applications

This short video follows the real experience of Chinese student visa applicants, with unique access to the visa application process supported by the UK government.

Tier 4 Sponsor Status

The University of Worcester has Tier Four Sponsor Status to sponsor international students to study in the UK. This is renewed annually by the Home Office, which is standard across all UK Universities.

International Recruitment
Jenny Lind Building - (Room JL 2026)
University of Worcester

Telephone: +44 (0)1905 542640
Email: international@worc.ac.uk