Senior Lecturer in Primary Education
tel: 01905 542071
Ben is a senior lecturer and teaches students on the Primary BA ITE pathway and Primary PGCE pathway, primarily working within his specialist areas of mathematics and science. He is also the Year 3 Cohort Leader – supporting students on the final year of the undergraduate programme and ensuring that they are well-equipped to successfully gain employment as they finish the course. Ben is also module leader for Year 1 Professional Practice; a module focusing on professionalism, behaviour management and effective teaching and learning. Before joining the University in April 2018, he worked in Gloucestershire schools for 10 years as a class teacher, Mathematics Subject Leader and has also worked as part of Senior Leadership Teams. He has a strong teaching/leadership background within Key Stage 1 and EYFS – appreciating (and enjoying!) the exciting challenge of working with young children!
Ben has had experience with supporting a wide range of student teachers, early career teachers, teaching assistants and class teachers. He enjoys supporting others to become the best that they can be and aims to use these experiences to effectively support students at the University.
- Postgraduate Certificate: Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (PGLTHE), University of Worcester (2019) [Fellow of the Higher Education Academy – FHEA]
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Educational Studies (Mathematics Specialist Teacher) – University of Winchester (2012)
- BEd (Hons) Primary Teaching (4-year BEd specialising in Primary Science) – University of Plymouth (2008)
Teaching & Research
- Primary Mathematics
- Primary Science
- Teaching for “Mastery” in Mathematics
- Behaviour Management
- Professional Practice
- Using Conversational Roles Within Seminar Discussions: Exploring the impact on learner participation (PGCLTHE Research Project)
- The use of questioning to promote deep mathematical thinking.
- Promoting mathematical talk through the use of discussion mats.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Shakespeare, B (2021) “Developing the ‘E’ in PSHE” in Pugh, V. and Hughes, D. (eds.), Teaching PSHE and RSHE in Primary Schools: Enhancing the whole curriculum, London: Bloomsbury, pp.57-67
Online resources, Developing maths skills through geography, for Pickering, S. (2019) Geographical Skills, in Willy, T. (ED) Leading Primary Geography. Sheffield, Geographical Association, pp.30 - 40
- Work Group Lead for the GLOW Maths Hub/NCETM Primary Early Career Teacher work group
- Member of the GLOW Maths Hub ITT Steering Group