Senior Lecturer, Nutritional Therapy
Department of Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Nutritional Therapy
tel: 01905 542418
Miranda Harris is a Senior Lecturer for Nutritional Therapy MSc, an HEA Accredited Teaching Fellow and a practising Registered Nutritionist (mBANT, CNHC) with over ten years of experience specialising in sports and exercise nutrition. In 2019 she was awarded the UoW Teaching Award and in 2020 and 2021, she was also awarded Outstanding Lecturer. Miranda is a keen triathlete currently on her long journey to Iron(wo)man.
Masters in Nutritional Therapy (Distinction)
Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Post Graduate Certificate in Nutrition for the Competitive Athlete
British Cycling Level 3 Coach for Road Racing and Time Trialling
Teaching & Research
Miranda is the module lead for Research Methods and the Dissertation modules as well as teach Nutrition for Sport and Exercise. She also has responsibility for publishing student dissertations. Miranda is currently working on her Senior Fellowship.
Miranda has recently published work on the topic of COVID-19 and nutrition and is currently working on various collaborations with MSc students, including the effect of a ketogenic diet on gut bacteria, probiotics as an intervention for hypertension and evaluation of a Multidisciplinary Programme for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia.
- Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC)
- The British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- British Cycling
Whittaker W & Harris MD (2021) Low carbohydrate diets and men’s testosterone and cortisol: systematic review and meta-analysis. PROSPERO 2021 CRD42021255957 Available from: https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?ID=CRD42021255957
Harris MD & Benbow A (2021) Evaluating the effectiveness of Nutritional Therapy in the McClelland Teaching Clinic at the University of Worcester. Online Journal of Complementary & Alternative Medicine 6(3)
Bold J, Harris MD, Fellows L, Chouchane M, (2020) Nutrition the digestive system and immunity in COVID-19 infection. Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench, 20 September, Page 331-340
Contribution to a journal article with statistical analysis
- Benbow, Alison and Ralph, S. and Watkins, K. and Granger, C. (2017) Exploring the Current Working Profiles of Nutritional Therapists to Inform Curriculum and Professional Development. European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 15. pp. 23-31.
Research strategy, design and statistical analysis:
BBC 'Trust Me I'm a Doctor' Gluten-free project (completed summer 2016).
- Poster presentations at the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT) conference June 2018:
- Differences in nutritional knowledge, attitude and behaviour of weight-loss programme and Health at Every Size followers (Jess Cadbury and Miranda Harris)
- An Evaluation of the Outcomes of a Multi-Modal Brain Health Programme Research Proposal (Aurea Fellows and Miranda Harris)
- Experiences of Living with Histamine Intolerance (Anna J. Cleary Ikin and Miranda D. Harris)
Poster presentations at the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT) regional conference June 2017:
- Nutritional Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviour in non-elite Competitive Cyclists.
- Evaluating student experience of the updated Clinic Assessment Records (CAR) for Initial Consultation 1 and 2 in Clinic.
Presentations at Conferences:
Presentations at the European Congress for Integrative Medicine (2021) on:
- Evaluating the impact of a 10-day online dietary programme on objective and subjective measures
- Evaluation of the outcomes of a multi-modal brain health programme.
- The relationship between plant-based dietary patterns (vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian) and depression
Presentation at the Regional BANT Conference 2018:
- Addressing obesity with different strategies.
Presentation at the Annual Learning, Teaching & Student Experience Conference 2016:
- Evaluating student experience of the updated Clinic Assessment Records
Presentation at Research in Focus 2013:
- Nutritional knowledge, habit and attitudes of non-elite competitive cyclists
Cytoplan: Sports Nutrition 2017
- Nutritional Therapist in private practice
- Trustee and Fundraising manager for the Beer Harris Memorial Trust (Mental health charity)
- Cycling Coach