Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (Teaching Skills) (LANG1013)
This is a 15-credit module to give you a taste of the CELTA and of teaching English as a second language.
This module focuses on teaching methodology and classroom techniques; you'll learn how people learn languages, different approaches to teaching, how to plan lessons and create materials, and how to teach speaking, listening, reading and writing in English.
- Provides a good foundation for the CELTA
- Small communicative classes
- A friendly and supportive learning experience
- Strong focus on enhancing your employability
You will examine the role of TEFL in a global context and be introduced to the historical development of a range of theoretical approaches to TEFL. The module also involves exploring different types of learner and learning situations, including discussion of the terminology used to describe these, e.g. EAP, ESP etc. You will investigate the relationship between learners' linguistic and cultural backgrounds and the English learning process.
Observation of qualified TEFL teachers and participation in practical activities will enable you to recognise and evaluate key aspects of TEFL methodology. You will gain skills in observation and critical reflection that can be applied in any learning situation.
On successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Define and analyse key theoretical and pedagogical concepts in TEFL methodology;
- Compare a range of EFL learners and learning settings, demonstrating awareness of the global context of TEFL;
- Identify and discuss the application of practical TEFL skills, including classroom management and evaluation of teaching resources;
- Demonstrate accurate, coherent and fluent use of English in their own language production (written and spoken).
Reflective journal & report:
Ongoing bi-weekly reflective journal to reflect on the teaching approaches and strategies established via lectures and workshops. Summative report of this process: 750-1000 words.
Plan a 60-minute lesson appropriate for the level of the text provided: 750-1000 word rationale. Outcomes: demonstrate an ability to stage a lesson following appropriate EFL methodology, adapting and creating relevant materials, and meeting the needs and learning styles of second language learners.
You will develop your awareness of the English language, enabling you to improve your own language skills in preparation for teaching others to improve theirs.
You will be able to broaden your horizon by looking through the eyes of a foreign learner of English.
You will lay the foundation for embarking on a career in TEFL
Some examples of TEFL job opportunities:
How to enrol
You can enrol for this module on your SOLE page: go to the student portal > SOLE > Module information > Select modules.
If you are unsure whether your course programme allows you to select this module, ask a programme adviser.