Outdoor Activity, Sport and Exercise Facilities Manager
School of Sport and Exercise Science
Professional and Technical Support Staff
tel: 01905 543042
From an early age Rob followed his passion for the educating children and young people in the outdoors, at the age of 17 he gained a place as part of a local trainee instructor scheme for Sandwell Local Education Authority and subsequently went on to study at the University of Worcester gaining a BSc (Hons) in Outdoor Adventure Leadership and Management.
During his career he has worked for many outdoor activity providers both in the UK and abroad; Calvert Trust, Go Ape and Adventure Norway to name but a few and spent an international semester studying in Norway at Agder University. He also worked as a freelance instructor before gaining employment with a local outdoor education centre in Worcester where he worked his way up to become Head of Centre.
It was at this point that Rob decided to go back to study and completed his Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), which then saw him teaching sport, public services and outdoor education across a number of primary and secondary schools, as well as FE colleges. His passion for nurturing and developing children and young people led him to set up his own community interest company aimed at utilising the outdoors as a positive diversionary tool to engage children and young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Rob has since gained employment with the University as lead for outdoor sport, managing Lakeside Campus and sessional lecturing and has more recently completed his Masters (MA) in Outdoor Education where his research focused on: the role of outdoor education (OE) in alternative provision (AP) Free Schools; the impact of OE programmes on the resilience of AP students (Resilience, Life Effectiveness and Self-Authorship); the restorative capability of nature, green exercise and OE programmes (Self Esteem, Mood and Anxiety).
- MA Outdoor Education, University of Worcester
- PGCE (Post Compulsory Education Training), Birmingham City University
- BSc (Hons) Outdoor Adventure Leadership and Management, University of Worcester, and Outdoor Nature and Guiding, Coaching, Leadership, Pedagogy and Didactics (Part of) - Universitetet i Agder (UIA)
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
Rob has over 16 years' experience of working in the outdoor education, sports management and youth development sectors, specialising in engaging and delivering programmes to children and young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
His broad experience has given him exposure to working with children and young people drawn from a number of different areas, across a large range of initiatives through education.
Industry Related Qualifications:
- NUCO Health and Safety Trainer/Assessor (Health and Safety, Fire, Manual Handling)
- Youth and Adult Mental Health First Aid
- Brief Solution Focused Practice Counselling and Teenage Brain Development
- Outdoor First Aid, First Aid at Work, CPR and AED
- Safeguarding and Protecting Children, CSE, FGM
- IOSH Working Safely, Fire Safety and Awareness, Fire Warden Training, Manual Handling
- BCU L2 Coach (3* Kayak and 3* Solo Canoe)
- White Water Rescue Technician
- Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
- ML (Summer)
- GNAS Archery Leader
- ATEO Rifle Range Control Officer
- BSCA Mountain Bike Leader Award
- ROSPA - DSE Assessor (Ergonomics Principles)
- ROSPA - Risk Assessment
- ROSPA - Legionella
- UoW – Appraiser, Mediation, Recruitment and Selection, DDT
Scope of Role at the University
Day-to-day running of outdoor sport across the University, management of Lakeside campus facility and sessional lecturing. Strategic planning, business generation, risk management, budget setting/planning, staffing, academic support, academic school engagement including programming, designing and planning, staff training and monitoring, purchasing, co-ordinating estates, building management, grounds and housekeeping services.
- Lakeside Campus Manager (Emphasis on incorporating outdoor learning opportunities within modular delivery across all university academic schools and enhancing local community engagement through schools, youth organisations and general public)
- Lead for outdoor sport
- SSES Health and Safety Adviser
- Clubs/Societies Health and Safety Adviser University of Worcester Students' Union
- Sessional Lecturer – SSES
- Strategic Biodiversity Management Group Member
- Strategic Football Development (BUCS Grassroots Hub)
- Football Steering Group (Football Foundation)
- Rowing Management Board (RMB)
- ROSPA Working Group
- Sports Employers Advice Panel (SEAP)
- Local Organising Committee (LOC) - School Games Worcestershire
- Senior Leadership Master’s Degree Apprenticeship (SLMDA) Mentor
- Managing Director and Co-Founder Active Youth Outreach Services CIC
- Swim England Water Wellbeing Project Group
- Malvern Hills District Health and Wellbeing Partnership
- Malvern Youth Advisory Network
- Worcestershire County Council Youth Engagement Network Group
- Wildgoose Rural Training and Nature Reserve Advisory Group