Sports Science Technician
Professional and Technical Support Staff
tel: 01905 855256
Matt completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Worcester in 2014. He joined the University in a full time capacity as Sports Science Technician in 2016, based in the Human Performance Laboratories. Since then Matt has completed the PG Cert (Higher Education) and has now become a Teaching Fellow (HEA).
- PG Cert Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (FHEA), University of Worcester (2018)
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science, University of Worcester (2014)
- ISAK Level 1 (2016)
- Sports Massage Level 3
- Personal Trainer Level 3
Teaching & Research
- Motor learning
- Elite sports performance and conditioning
- Muscle mechanics and neuromuscular pacing
- Physiological responses to exercise
Thomas, G., Cullen, T., Davies, M., Hetherton, C., Duncan, B. and Gerrett, N. (2019) Independent or Simultaneous Lowering of Core and Skin Temperature Has No Impact on Self‑paced Intermittent Running Performance in Hot Conditions. European Journal of Applied Physiology. ISSN Print: 1439-6319 Online: 1439-6327.
Wadley, A., Keane, Gary, Cullen, T., James, L., Vautrinot, Jordon, Davies, M., Hussey, B., Hunter, D.J., Mastana, S., Holliday, A., Petersen, S.V., Bishop, N.C., Lindley, M.R. and Coles, Steven (2019) Characterisation of Extracellular Redox Enzyme Concentrations in Response to Exercise in Humans. Journal of Applied Physiology. ISSN Print: 8750-7587 Online: 1522-1601. http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/8271/
Scope of Role at University
Matt's role at the University involves providing technical support to staff and students during teaching sessions. He is involved in the support and undertaking of a variety of research projects based in the Human Performance Laboratories. Further responsibilities include the day-to-day maintenance of equipment and consumables in the labs, as well as keeping records and ensuring correct lab procedures are followed.
- Updating COSHH, Health and Safety and Risk Assessment documentation.
- Preparing the laboratories for research and teaching activities.
- Calibration, servicing and maintenance of equipment.
- Supporting practical activities for students and school workshops/Open Days.
- Stock control of consumables and lab assets.
- Providing competency training to staff and students on laboratory equipment.