Secondary and Post Compulsory Education
tel: 01905 855045
Louise Beattie currently works in the Partnership Team on the Secondary PGCE course and is EAL Lead.
She joined Worcester University as a senior lecturer in 2013 and became English Subject Lead in 2017. She previously worked in schools in the West Midlands, culminating in the role of Head of English before moving to a Local Authority position as Secondary English Advisor for 11 years.
In recent years, she has focused on developing her writing for publication. She has co-authored two books with a primary colleague and contributed chapters to a book on subject mentoring. She recently published an article in Social Learning Relationships in Primary Schools. She is a fellow of the HEA.
- HEA Fellow
- Post Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- MA in Leadership and Management in Education
- PGCE in Secondary English
- BA (Hons) Humanities
Learn Upon Training completed
- Safer Recruitment
- Introduction to the Prevent Duty as it affects Higher Education
- Safeguarding Essentials
Teaching & Research
- Teaching of speaking and listening and its links to writing
- How the literacy of subjects is taught in secondary schools and its potential impact
- How explicit teacher commentary can enhance learning
- Teaching reading
- The teaching of speaking and listening
- Transition from primary to secondary school
- Effective mentoring
- Member of the National Association of Advisers in English (NAAE)
- Member of the UK Literacy Association (UKLA)
- Member of the National Association for the Teaching of English (NATE)
Beattie, L. and Horton, S. (2020) Expectations versus reality: the story of gender differences in transition from primary to secondary school in: Kington, A. and Blackmore, K. Social and Learning Relationships in Primary Schools. Bloomsbury Academic, London, pp. 237-258. ISBN 978-1-3500-9606-6
Beattie, L. (2020) Supporting beginning English teachers to support pupils’ learning In Hickman, D. (ed) (2020) Mentoring English Teachers in the Secondary School: A Practical Guide. Oxon: Routledge. (ISBN 9: 781138591363)
Beattie, L., Lawson, S. and Wood-Griffiths, S. (2019) Helping D&T teachers plan, deliver and evaluate lessons. In Lawson, S. and Wood-Griffiths, S. (eds) (2019) Mentoring Design and Technology Teachers in the Secondary School. Oxon: Routledge.
Horton, S., Beattie, L. and Lannie, S. (2019) Reading at Greater Depth in Key Stage Two. London: Sage. (ISBN 9 781526441706)
Horton, S., Beattie, L. and Bingle, B. (2015) Lessons in Teaching Reading Comprehension in Primary Schools. London: Sage. (ISBN10: 1473916143)