Fran’s main research interest is shared decision making within the speciality of rheumatology. More specifically her PhD research is exploring newly diagnosed early inflammatory/ rheumatoid arthritis patient experiences of shared decision making from initial symptom onset through to their first treatment year.
The use of a qualitative, interpretive phenomenological approach will enable the development of textual descriptions of the experiences, opinions and perspectives of participants. Analysis will involve the development of themes that will provide a deeper interpretive understanding of shared decision making within an interdisciplinary team.
Her supervisor is: Professor Eleanor Bradley and Dr Theresa Mitchell.
In addition to working towards her PhD, Fran works full time as a Lead Rheumatology Clinical Nurse Specialist. Prior to commencing her PhD Fran was one of the first clinical nurse specialists employed by the West Midlands Clinical Research Network (WMCLRN) in a combined role of research and clinical nurse specialist (2008-2011). She achieved highest recruiter to several research studies and has extensive experience in setting up, recruiting and managing research trials in secondary care.
Frances was awarded a RCN research fellowship to part-fund her PhD
- RGN (1993)
- Dip Nursing (1994) ENB 998 (1994)
- BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care, Specialist practitioner award. NEWI (1996)
- OND Staffordshire University (2001)
- MSc. Health Studies University of Worcester (2005)
- Independent nurse prescriber (NMP) University of Worcester (2007)
- Post graduate certificate research methods (2018)
- Chilton, F.,Bradley, E. Wilkinson, D and Clarke, J.(2017). A qualitative exploration into early inflammatory arthritis patients personal experiences whilst waiting GP initiated referral. RCN International Nursing Research conference Oxford
- Chilton,F.,Bradley,E. Wilkinson,D and Clarke,J.(2016). An inductive analysis of patient experiences of shared decision making from initial diagnosis to end of first treatment year. Poster presented at University of Worcester Postgraduate Conference, 23rd June 2016
- Chilton,F. and Collett,R. (2008) Treatment choices, preferences and decision making by patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Musculoskeletal care 6 1-14
- Essential shared care agreements view at www.coventrywarksapc.nhs.uk/
- Chilton,F. (2004) The development of an integrated care pathway for newly diagnosed patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of integrated care pathways 8, 41
- Chilton,F. (2003) Integrated care pathways in rheumatology. Rheumatology abstract April
- Chilton,F (2003) Integrated care pathways in rheumatology. Poster presented at British Society of Rheumatology conference, April 2003.