Dr Susie Scriven
Director of Sport Partnerships and Community Engagement
Senior Management Team
tel: 01905 855140
Susie has career long sport and exercise industry management experience, having successfully managed indoor/outdoor facilities, staff teams and projects across all sectors, including professional sport franchise delivery.
Beyond sport management, she has accrued extensive fitness instruction experience. Adapted sport, exercise and physical activity for older adults is her specialism as a current practitioner. To encourage inter generation, student engagement, Susie developed and remains project lead of the UW Senior (60+yrs) Physical Activity and Adapted Sport (SPAAS) programme, and the associated, annual, Worcester Senior (60+yrs) Games. The programme prompted the School of Sport and Exercise Science (SSES) to establish a cross college, research group, Successful Active Ageing. Susie contributes to applied research as a member of the group.
- PhD: A Comparative Analysis of Sport for All Policies and Provision for the Elderly in England, Canada and Australia (1975 to 2005), University of Worcester (2012)
- MBA, Open University (2005)
- BA (Hons) Sport and Recreation, Staffordshire University
- Postural Stability Instructor (Later Life Training REP’s L4, 2014)
Scope of Role at University
Monitor participation to elite level, trends and developments across the sport and exercise sector (local, national, international) and interpret in context of a possible strategic contribution to the (i) University of Worcester Strategic Plan (2019), (ii) SSES curriculum support, and (iii) all extracurricular sport and exercise delivery from grass root entry to professional level.
Broker external community (local, national, international) relationships, viewing emergent partnerships from a perspective of student recruitment, retention and enhancing applied experience during under/post graduate study at Worcester.
- Director of strategic planning around sport, exercise and recreation programme creation and subsequent delivery for students, staff and community members.
- Lead professional support, staff management teams across UW sport and exercise facilities and services.
- Member of SSES Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Project lead for Lakeside Campus Cross University Steering Group.
- Project lead for UW Senior (60+ yrs) Physical Activity and Adapted Sport Programme (SPAAS).
- UW Executive Safeguarding Committee.
- Represent the University at executive meetings as directed by Head of SSES.
- TASS Hub lead.
- Severn Stars Netball Franchise – UW Operational Lead.
- Director of UW Worcester Wolves Basketball Ltd. and volunteer on Committee of Hereford Hornets Basketball Club.
- Director of Sport Partnership Herefordshire and Worcestershire (SPHW). Independent of University role.
- Commercial leisure centre management.
- Local government leisure services (supervisory, to contract management).
- Commercial health club management.
- Commercial sign making and advertising.
- Accountant; payroll and office management.
- Higher Education sector, sport and exercise service/facility management.
- Volunteering in sport, exercise and PA environments.