In addition to the contact time, you are expected to undertake around 22 hours of personal self-study per week. Typically, this will involve
- reading of text books and journals
- journal writing
- professional portfolio activities, organisation and writing
- work based learning
- placement - a minimum of 100 hours across the programme
- supervision of counselling placement practice - a minimum of 1.5 hours per month
- personal therapy - a minimum of 40 hours across the two years
- preparation for assignments
Time spent on the above activities will vary from student to student but all of the above must be included in the process.
There are additional costs related to most counselling programmes, such as professional body membership fees, supervision if not provided by the placement, and personal therapy costs. For a breakdown of expected additional costs on this programme, please see the 'Fees' tab on the FdA page of the Iron Mill College website.
Independent learning is supported by a range of excellent learning facilities, including the Hive and library resources, the virtual learning environment, and extensive electronic learning resources.