Academic visitors



We welcome applications to take part in our Academic Visitors Scheme from overseas institutions in the following categories: research, teaching practice/pedagogy or professional services.

Academic Visitors can conduct a number of activities during their stay. This includes collaborating with members of staff in research projects, sharing knowledge or experience, holding academic discussions, observing teaching practice and pedagogy, learning new management styles and observe how we run our courses, establishing academic networks with University of Worcester staff, and exploring possibilities for future joint ventures and projects.

Our Academic Visitor Scheme is open to members of staff from all overseas institutions who are currently employed by their home institution.

If you are interested in coming to the University of Worcester as an academic visitor, please read the information carefully to ensure that you meet the requirements.


Facilities and benefits

As an academic visitor at the University of Worcester you will receive:

  • A general introduction to the University and its facilities
  • Access to the University Staff Development Programme which offers a wide range of workshops, training, events and activities to further your professional development.
  • A University of Worcester Associate Staff ID card
  • Access to Information Services (including libraries and computer labs)
  • University of Worcester email address
  • Contact with a member of staff from your chosen Institute or Department

Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee the provision of a personal office space, personal computer and telephone.

Who can apply?

Who qualifies as an academic visitor?

  • An individual who wishes to make use of their sabbatical leave overseas to carry out research
  • An individual who wishes to share knowledge, experience and to hold informal discussions with counterparts at the University of Worcester
  • An individual who wishes to take part in a single conference/seminar that is not a commercial or non-profit venture
  • An individual who wishes to take part in research/ teaching/clinical practice as a senior experienced medical doctor

An academic visitor must also provide evidence they have been working as an academic in an institution of higher education overseas, or in the field of their academic expertise immediately before applying for a place on our Academic Visitors Scheme.

You will not qualify for the Academic Visitor Scheme if you are:

  • A recent graduate
  • On sabbatical leave from a private research company
  • Post-graduate researcher who is undertaking studies leading to an accredited UK academic qualification
  • Named researcher undertaking grant funded research
  • Lecturer undertaking a series of fee - paid lectures

Please note that Academic Visitors are not able to:

  • Register as a student
  • Work towards a qualification
  • Undertake paid work
  • Stay longer than 12 months

Visa requirements

Academic visitors are responsible for applying and paying for all visas and other permissions required by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for the express purpose of carrying out the proposed academic activity.

Although certain countries are designated as “non-visa national” countries, in most circumstances you will need to obtain a visa in order to travel to and enter the UK if you are a citizen of a non-EU country.

You can check if you need a UK visa using an online service available on the UKVI website. Please note that the maximum period of stay on the Academic Visitor Scheme is 12 months. If aiming to stay for longer you should look into a Tier 5 visa which would allow you to stay between 12 – 24 months.

In some countries it may be possible to apply for a visa online but you should check with your own immigration authority or embassy for details of how to apply and their average processing times.

The link below provide some more details of the documents required to apply for a visa for your visit with us:

How to apply?

To apply for a place on the Academic Visitor Scheme, please ensure that you provide us with the following information:

  • A completed visiting academics application form
  • Passport photocopy
  • Certificate of English Language Proficiency
  • Research or project proposal/outline (1000 words maximum)
  • Your current CV

Please submit your application with the email subject reading:

“Academic Visitor Application: Name & Current Institution” to

Upon receiving your application, we confirm receipt of your application and then will assess your application carefully. We will contact you with any questions which we may have.

We strongly advise you to plan your academic visit either by the beginning of September/October or January/February to coincide with the beginning of our academic semesters. However, if you are doing joint research with a member of our staff, the starting times may be more flexible.

Please note that the University does not provide accommodation for Academic Visitors, and you will need to make your own arrangements for accommodation for your time in the UK.


For information on various funding schemes for incoming researchers visit our research funding site.

Contact us

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us for further information, via