We take our sustainability responsibilities extremely seriously and have achieved high recognition as a result.
The Times Higher Education Impact League
- Inaugural participant.
- Ranked 52nd in the World.
- 5th for Gender Equality.
- 15th for Life on Land.
International Green Gown Highly Commended
We are Highly Commended in the International Green Gown Awards 2020, for Sustainability Institution of the Year. The ceremony took place in New York, USA, as part of the United Nations High Level Political Forum.
Sustainability Institution of the Year 2019 - Green Gown Winner
We have won the Green Gown Award 2019, Sustainability Institution of the Year. We were also highly commended for the Art House in the Campus of the Future category.
The Green Gown Awards, run by the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC) recognise ‘exceptional sustainability initiatives’ in universities and colleges across the UK.
People & Planet University League
We have been ranked 5th out of 154 in the UK’s greenest universities in the 2019 People & Planet University League.
- We were the first English University to achieve EcoCampus Platinum status in June 2010.
- We were also the second English University to gain ISO14001:2015 for all our campuses.
Energy Management System
The University has been accredited with the ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System covering all activities, products and services across the entire institution.
The EnMS scope includes the University’s two major fuels type of natural gas and electricity. The accreditation is valid until September 2023.
Responsible Futures Accreditation
We achieved Responsible Futures accreditation from the NUS, in its inaugural year helping to develop the accreditation as one of the pilot institutions.
This accreditation is for our whole institution approach, working jointly with Worcester Students’ Union, to social responsibility and sustainability.
We have been reaccredited twice, every two years, each time increasing our scores. Our next review will take place in the July 2022.
- International Green Apple Award winners for two projects: Gold for Woo Bikes and Silver for Benchmarking Universities.
- Short listed for The Green Organisation International CSR Excellence Awards for the project: How sustainable are Universities? A simple tool to measure their teaching and research.
- A Higher Education Academy Green Academy first cohort participant
- Accredited with Fairtrade status since 2008