Dr Kostas Papadopoulos
Head of Department: Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Nutritional Therapy/Principal Lecturer
School of Allied Health and Community
Senior Management Team
Department of Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Nutritional Therapy
Dr Konstantinos (Kostas) Papadopoulos is the Head of Department for Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy & Nutritional Therapy Teams and a Principal Lecturer (Physiotherapy) within the School of Allied Health and Community. He is a HCPC/MSCP physiotherapist and he holds an MSc degree in Exercise Rehabilitation, a PhD degree in Healthcare Sciences and a PGcert in Teaching and Learning. Kostas is also a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) after submitting a successful application on leadership and management in Higher Education.
BSc Physiotherapy - 2007
MSc Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation - 2008
PhD Healthcare Sciences - 2016
PGCert Teaching and Learning in Higher education - 2016
PGCert Leadership and Management - 2019
My teaching style consists of problem-based learning techniques where students learn about a subject through understanding and solving problems.
Recent teaching and learning conference presentation
19th Annual Teaching and Learning Conference. Theme: Learning for Life; meaningful assessment for the changing world of tomorrow. Oral presentation: ‘Game-based learning as a platform for formative assessment in Higher Education’ Konstantinos Papadopoulos. London, UK, 6th Sept 2019.
Teaching Specialisms and Professional Interests
Anatomy and Pathophysiology
I am research active Physiotherapist; member of several research groups. I was a NHS honorary researcher for 7 years and I conducted a number of projects in NHS settings aiming to bridge the gap between evidence-based research and clinical practice.
Research Output and Interests
Research focus on musculoskeletal conditions of upper and lower limb
Great interest in patellofemoral pain syndrome assessment and treatment
Previous research focused on validation and cultural adaption of outcome measures e.g. questionnaires and scales for lower limb assessment
Keen on motion analysis research, dynamometers
Interest in qualitative, quantitative and mixed method designs
Membership of Professional Bodies
Member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (MCSP number 052997)
Health and Care Professions Council registered (PH114482)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Bampouras T, Andrew Wilson. Papadopoulos K. (2021) "Upper limb muscle strength and knee frontal plane projection angle asymmetries in female water-polo players". Sports Biomechanics, DOI: 10.1080/14763141.2021.1956577
- Turner, Anthony N.; Read, Paul; Maestroni, Luca; Chavda, Shyam; Yao, Xiang; Papadopoulos, Kostas; Virgile, Adam; Spiegelhalter, Abbie; Bishop, Chris (2021) ‘Reverse Engineering in Strength and Conditioning’. Strength and Conditioning Journal: September 22, 2021 - Volume - Issue - doi: 10.1519/SSC.0000000000000681
- Papadopoulos (2021) "The Sports Rehabilitation Therapists’ Guidebook" Routledge Oxfordshire, UK.
- Maestroni L, Turner A, Papadopoulos K, Korakakis V, Read P. (2021) "Relationships between physical capacities and biomechanical variables during movement tasks in athletic populations following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction". Physical Therapy in Sport, accepted (16/01/2020)
- Maestroni L, Papadopoulos K, Korakakis V, Turner A, Read P. (2020) ‘Strength, rate of force development, power and reactive strength in adult male athletic populations post anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction - A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis’. Physical Therapy in Sport 47:91-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2020.11.024 .
- Maestroni L, Read P, Bishop C, Papadopoulos K, Suchomel, T, Comfort P and Turner A. (2020) ‘The benefits of strength training on musculoskeletal system health: practical applications for interdisciplinary care’. Sports Medicine1007/s40279-020-01309-5 (Springer)
- J Guy, K.Papadopoulos (2020) ‘The impact of kinesiology tape application on the volume of interstitial space over the gastrocnemius within healthy mixed-gender participants using ultrasonography’ Trends in Medicine 20:1-5.
- Athanasiadis, K.Papadopoulos (2019) ‘‘Comparison of proprioception between Kinesiology and Adhesive Ankle Taping: A Randomised Experimental Study‘‘ Journal of Novel Physiotherapies 9:1
- M Arafat, K.Papadopoulos, M.S.I Mullick, M.S Uddin (2019) ‘‘The Vulnerability and Resiliency of Childhood’’ Global Psychiatry 2(2):1-7.
- Mamais, K.Papadopoulos, D. Lamnisos, Stasinopoulos (2018) ‘‘Effectiveness of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) in the treatment of Lateral elbow tendinopathy (LET): an umbrella review‘‘Journal of Laser Therapy, 27(3)
- Bishop, J. Lake, I. Loturco, K. Papadopoulos, A. N. Turner, P. Read. ‘‘Inter-limb Asymmetries: The Need for an Individual Approach to Data Analysis‘‘(2018) The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research,
- Aune, C. Bishop, A .N. Turner, Papadopoulos, S. Budd, M.Richardson, S. Malone. ‘‘Acute and chronic effects of foam rolling vs eccentric exercise on ROM and force output of the plantar flexors‘‘ (2018) Journal of Sports Sciences
- M.Y.Arafat, A.A. Majumder, R. Kabir, K.Papadopoulos, S. Uddin, (2018) ‘‘Health Literacy in School‘‘In book: Optimizing Health Literacy for Improved Clinical Practices Chapter: 10 Publisher: Hershey, PA : Medical Information Science Reference Editors: Vassilios E. Papalois, Maria Theodosopoulou.
- Papadopoulos. ‘‘A Model of Applied Physiotherapy in Patellofemoral Pain‘‘ (2018) Primary Health Care: Open Access. 8:1.
- D. Papadopoulos, R.Kabir, D. Stasinopoulos. ‘Perceptions of physiotherapists of their role in reducing pain and increasing function, strength and flexibility in patients with PFPS’ (2017) Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation 4(9):1-14.
- M.Y. Arafat, R. Kabir, A. Al Masud, K. Papadopoulos, S. M. I. Alam, R. Sultana, S. Ahmed. ‘Health problems and health care seeking behaviour of Rohingya Refugees’ (2017) Journal of medical Research and Innovation 1 (1): 21-29.
- D. Papadopoulos, R. Kabir. ‘Physiotherapy effectiveness on muscle strength, flexibility, pain and function in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome.‘(2016) Journal Of novel Physiotherapy and Physical Rehabilitation 3(1): 035-039
- P. Joshi, R. Kabir, P. Upreti, W.E Lee, K. Papadopoulos, N.Ferdous.‘‘Potential impact and controversy of Stem Cells in Public Health‘‘. (2016) International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol 2: 10-14.
- Stasinopoulos, K. Papadopoulos, D. Lamnisos, A. Stergioulas. ‘LLLT for the management of patients with ankylosing spondylitis. (2016) Lasers in Medical Science, in press DOI: 10.1007/s10103-016-1874-2. First online: 21 January 2016, pp1-11.
- Stasinopoulos, K. Papadopoulos, D. Lamnisos "The use of Bioptron light (polarized, polychromatic, non-coherent) therapy for the treatment of acute ankle sprains". (2016) Disability and Rehabilitation, DOI:10.3109/09638288.2016.1146357. Published online: 04 Mar 2016
- D.Papadopoulos, L. Nardi, M. Antoniadou, A. Constantinou, A.Chimonidou D Stasinopoulos. ‘Greek adaption and validation of the Kujala Anterior Knee Pain Scale in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome‘(2016) Disability and Rehabilitation Published online Apr 6:1-5.
- D. Papadopoulos, D.Stasinopoulos. ‘Reproducibility of lower strength tests using a portable dynamometer. Measurement comparisons with a non-portable dynamometer’ (2016) International Journal of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation (accepted 22/03/2016) doi: http:// dx.doi.org/10.15344/ijptr/ 2016/112.
- D. Papadopoulos, D. Stasinopoulos, D. Ganchev. ‘A systematic review of systematic reviews of PFPS risk factors, diagnostic tests, outcome measures and exercise treatment, with an analysis of key participant and study characteristics in included primary studies’ (2015) The Open Sports Medicine Journal (Vol 9 pp7-17).
- D. Papadopoulos, J Noyes, J.G. Jones, J.M. Thom, D. Stasinopoulos. ‘Clinical tests for differentiating between patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome and those without’ (2014) Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal, Vol 32(1) pp35-43 (in the top 5 most downloaded papers of 2014)
- Stasinopoulos, K.D. Papadopoulos, L.Nardi, M.Andoniadou. ‘Greek adoption and validation of the Patient-Related Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE)’ Journal of Hand Therapy, (2014)
- D. Papadopoulos, J.M. Thom, J Noyes, J.G. Jones, D. Stasinopoulos. ‘The Reliability and Meaningfulness of the Anterior Knee Pain and Lower Extremity Functional Scales in Patellofemoral pain Syndrome’ (2013) The Open Sports Science Journal, Vol 6 pp26-30
- D.Papadopoulos, L. Nardi, M. Antoniadou, D. Stasinopoulos. ‘Greek adoption and validation of the Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome Severity Scale’ (2013) Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal, Vol 31 pp95-99.
- Stasinopoulos, K.D.Papadopoulos, A. Constantinou.‘Effectiveness of Iontoforesis for lateral elbow tendinopathy‘ (2013) Journal of Novel Physiotherapies, Vol 5 pp2-5
- D. Papadopoulos, J. Noyes, M. Barnes, J.G. Jones, J.M. Thom. ‘How do physiotherapists assess and treat Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome in North Wales? A mixed method study’. (2013) International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, Vol 19 pp261-272. Featured paper of May 2012.
External Examiner roles
Coventry University - BSc (Hons) in Physiotherapy (Applied)-Health and Life Sciences. Collaborative partner, Aegean Omiros College 2020 - ongoing
Bradford College - FdSc Physical Activity, Health and Wellbeing, FdSc Sport Coaching & BSc (Hons) Sports and Physical Activity 2017 - ongoing
Buck New University - Professional Practice, Applied Health & Exercise Sciences 2017-2021