Dr Colin Howard
Dr Colin Howard has been involved in primary education for 24 years of which over 14 years has been as a successful headteacher in both small village and large primary settings. He has a strong research background in educational leadership and the influence that school buildings have upon their stakeholders. He currently inspects schools for the Diocese of Hereford as a S48 SIAMS Inspector.
- Ph.D (University of Birmingham 2013)
- Title 'The Influence of new school buildings upon the motivation, morale and job satisfaction of their teaching staff.
- M.Ed Educational Leadership (Gloucester University 2006).
- B.Ed (Hons) (Lancaster University 1986).
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Leading Teaching Award (University of Worcester) 2016
Teaching & Research
Colin Howard has taught on the following undergraduate and post-graduate courses. He has one completion as a Director of Studies for a PhD entitled Sustaining Teacher Quality: Associations between Primary Teachers Commitment, Professional Identity and Retention. He has successfully supervised students on the Masters Programme at the University of Worcester.
- Primary Science, Research Methods and Dissertation Studies (SEND focus)
- Primary Science, Specialist Research Studies (SEND focus)
- Educational Leadership
- Retention of the Talent Pool of Teaching Professionals
- Teachers’ Professional Lives, Motivation, Morale and Job Satisfaction.
- Howard, C. (2020) The Role of the Built Environment in Schools: Developing Teachers' Professional Identities and Motivation. In Kington, A. and Blackmore K. (Eds) (2020) About Social and Learning Relationships in Primary Schools. London: Bloomsbury Academic
- Howard, C., Burton, M., Barrell, R. & Levermore, D. (2nd Edition) (2019) Children’s Mental Health and Emotional Well-being in Primary Schools. A Whole School Approach. Learning Matters. Sage Publications Ltd, London
- Howard, C., Carroll, J., Owens, J. & Langston, D. (2019) ‘The School Mentor’s Guide: How to mentor newly qualified and recently qualified teachers’, London: Sage Learning Matters
- Dhillon, J., Howard, C. & Holt, D. (2019) Outstanding leadership in primary education: perceptions of school leaders in English primary schools. Management in Education. Available at https://eprints.worc.ac.uk/8739/
- Howard, C. (2018) Planning and Assessment. ‘From Your Primary School-Based Experience’ and Howard, C. & Bingle, B. (2018) Behaviour Management and Classroom Discipline. ‘From Your Primary School-Based Experience’. In Hymer, B. & Lockney compiled by NASBITT (2018) Themes and Issues in Primary Education.
- Blackmore, K., Howard, C. & Kington, A. (2018) Trainee Teachers’ Experience of Primary Science Teaching, and the Perceived Impact on Their Developing Professional Identity. European Journal of Teacher Education. pp. 1-20. ISSN 0261-9768 Online: 1469-5928 (In Press)
- Howard, C., Carroll, J., & Knight, B. (2018) Understanding British Values in Primary Schools: Policy and Practice. Transforming Primary QTS . SAGE Publications Ltd (Learning Matters), London, UK. http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/6345/
- Billingsley, B., Ramos Arias, A., Blackmore, K. & Howard, C. (2018) Teaching Evolution in Rural Primary Schools. Wellcome Trust: 'Evolution on Rural Tour'.
- Kington, A., M. Watkins., Howard, C., B. Bingle. & Robinson, C. (in prep 2019-21) The Impact of Professional, Situated and Personal Critical Events on Mid-career Teacher Identity
- Kington, A., Bingle, B., Howard, C. & Watkins, M. (in prep 2019-21) Primary Teachers’ Constructs of Mid-career Professional Identity. Journal of Constructivist Psychology
- Kington, A., Buckler, S., Watkins, M., Howard, C. & Howarth, S. (in prep 2019-21) Inner Sanctum or Place to Hide? The role and impact of primary school staffrooms
- Howard, C., Burton, M., Barrell, R. & Levermore, D. (1st edition) (2017) Children’s Mental Health and Emotional Well-being in Primary Schools. A Whole School Approach. Learning Matters. Sage Publications Ltd, London. ISBN Paperback: 978-1473975798 Hardback: 978-1473975781 https://eprints.worc.ac.uk/id/eprint/5530
- Bingle, B., Kington, A., Howard, C. & Robinson, C. (2017) Tales from the Watershed: Using repertory grids in the study of teachers‘ mid-career identity. In: Personal Construct Psychology at 60: Papers from the 21st International Congress, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholarly Publishing. ISBB 978-1-4438-8279-8
- Bingle, B., Kington, A., Howard, C. & Robinson, C. (2017). Tales from the Watershed: Using repertory grids in the study of teachers‘ mid-career identity. In: Winter, D.A., Cummins, P., Procter H. and Reed N. (Eds) Personal Construct Psychology in the 21st Century, Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholarly Publishing
- Robinson, C., Bingle, B., & Howard, C. (2016) Surviving and Thriving as a Primary NQT. Cheshire, Critical Publishing. http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/4204/
- Howard, C. & Cooke, V. (2016) ‘Key Concepts in Primary Science: audit and subject knowledge’. Critical Publishing. http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/4205/
- Howard, C. & Cooke, V. (2016) The Evolution and Inheritance of the New Primary Curriculum. Teachers Media. Available at http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/4187/
- Bingle, B., Howard, C., Robinson, C. & Kington, A. (2015). Tales from the Watershed: Using repertory grids in the study teachers’ mid-career identity. Paper presented at the XXIth International Congress for Personal Construct Psychology (July), Hatfield, UK
- Robinson, C., Bingle, B., & Howard C. (2015) 2nd Edn. Your Primary School Based Experience. A Guide to Outstanding Placements. Cheshire. Critical Publishing
- Cooke, V. & Howard C. (2015) Practical Ideas for Teaching Primary Science. Cheshire. Critical Publishing
- Howard, C. & Blackmore, K. (2015) ‘A hard nut to crack- improving primary trainee teacher confidence in teaching physical processes topics’. Science Teacher Education, Vol 73 (June) Association of Science Education. Available http://www.ase.org.uk/journals/science-teacher-education/
- Howard, C. (2014) The Role of Posters as a means of Summative Assessment. Available at http://www.worc.ac.uk/edu/documents/The_Role_of_Posters_as_a_means_of_Summative_Assessment.pdf
- Cooke, V. & Howard, C. (2014) Talk: Using dialogic talk in science. Available at http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/3518/
- Howard, C. (2013) The influence of new school buildings upon the motivation morale and job satisfaction of teaching professionals. Paper presented to the 11th Annual Conference School of Education Research Conference: University of Birmingham. ISBN9780704428317
- Robinson, C., Bingle, B., & Howard, C. (2013) Primary School Placements: A Critical Guide to Outstanding Teaching. Cheshire, Critical Publishing
- External Examiner Primary Education, Chester University
- Registered SIAMS S48 Inspector for the Diocese of Hereford