Training for Meeting Centre Staff and Volunteers
Meeting Centres training course for staff/volunteers
We have developed a 5-week fully online course to help staff/volunteers understand how to develop an enjoyable and flexible Meeting Centre which is key to the development of a successful Meeting Centre.
This 5-week course will support you to consider the different elements that make up a Meeting Centre and explore the practicalities of implementing it. This will include looking at:
- The Meeting Centre ethos
- The Essential Features of a Meeting Centre
- The Adjusting to Change model and how this model can be used in practice to support both members with dementia and family carers
- The physical, social and psychological effect of movement on individuals, with the opportunity for staff/volunteers to start to consider how this can be incorporated into the Meeting Centres programme.
Whilst we do not expect staff/volunteers to have in-depth knowledge of dementia, we do expect that they have some understanding, we therefore request that all those attending have investigated becoming a Dementia Friend see this link to access Dementia Friends
Mode of delivery: This fully online training will be delivered using the University’s online learning platform. It will include weekly scheduled 'live' online sessions where you will meet your tutor and fellow students, and independent study which you will complete at your own pace. Typically, you should spend approximately 3-4 hours each week working through this course.
Access requirements: As a fully online training course you will require a reliable computer/laptop and internet access. You will require audio and video capability for the live online sessions so that you can connect with your tutor and fellow students.
Target audience: This training is specifically to support frontline staff/volunteers who will have day to day responsibility of running a Meeting Centre but may also be of interest to Trustees/other supporters.
- 3 April 2023 (live sessions will take place on Thursdays) - This course will be open for registration from Monday 9th January 2023
- 3 July 2023 (live sessions will take place on Wednesdays) - This course will be open for registration from Monday 1st May 2023
- 30 October 2023 (live sessions will take place on Tuesdays) - This course will be open for registration from Monday 4th September 2023
Thinking ahead, further courses are also planned for 2024 starting:
- 8th April 2024 (live sessions will take place on Tuesdays)
- 1st July 2024 (live sessions will take place on Wednesdays)
- 4th November 2024 (live sessions will take place on Tuesdays)
If you are interested in attending this training please email email@example.com, but only do this once registration for the course is open. We will then give more information about how and when to access the training.
Workshop fee: The training is free to UK delegates