Research Degree Students
Beth is a full-time PhD student in the School of Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Worcester.
Beth’s main research interest concerns marginalised groups within sport, with a focus on sexuality, and gender. Her Masters research identified the experiences of non-heterosexual women within individual sports, contributing new knowledge to this area of research as previous literature prioritised experiences within team sports. Continuing in this research area, her PhD research aims to explore the experiences of non-heterosexual individuals within the sports workforce, with a focus on coaches.
Beth is a member of the Inclusive Sports and Physical Activity research group and Women in Sport and Exercise group at the University.
Her supervisors are Dr Győző Molnár and Dr Don Vinson.
Prior to and alongside commencing her PhD, Beth works as a Research Assistant and Technician on a European Commission funded Erasmus+ project, the Gender Equality Toolkit for Generation Z (GETZ). Beth has been active within the creation and maintenance of the Gender Equality Toolkit, provided through a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). Additionally, contributing to knowledge through collaborative research, focusing on Generation Z, their perceptions of gender equality and preferred methods of communication.
MRes in Socio-Cultural Studies of Sport and Exercise, University of Worcester (2021)
BSc (Hons) Sports Studies, University of Worcester (2018)
- Schaillée, H., Derom, I., Straume, S., Solenes, O., Jones, V., Burgess, B. and Renfree, G. (2020, September) ‘Gender Equality in Sport: Perceptions and Experiences of Generation Z.’ 28th EASM European Sport Management Virtual Conference, Online.
- Derom, I., Schaillée, H., Straume, S., Solenes, O., Jones, V., Burgess, B. and Renfree, G. (2020, September) ‘Gender Equality in Sport: Educating Generation Z.’ 28th EASM European Sport Management Virtual Conference, Online.
- Burgess, B. (2019, September) ‘Educating and Engaging Generation Z.’ International Physical Literacy Conference Europe, Umea, Sweden.
- Burgess, B. (2019, July) ‘Exploring the experiences of non-heterosexual women athletes within individual sports.’ Seeds of Knowledge Conference, Worcester, UK.
- Jones, V., Burgess, B., and Renfree, G. (2019, June) ‘The Gender Equality Toolkit for Generation Z – Facilitating Gender Equality in Sport Leadership.’ Women in Sport and Exercise Conference, London, UK.
- Schaillée, H., Derom, I., Solenes, O., Straume, S., Burgess, B., Jones, V., and Renfree, G. (2021) 'Gender inequality in sport: perceptions and experiences of Generation Z', Sport, Education and Society, 0 (0), pp. 1-15. doi: 10.1080/13573322.2021.1932454.