The Hive, Britain's first joint university and public library, offers a rich variety of resources for University of Worcester students and researchers.
A fantastic first two years
Since it was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 2012, The Hive has had a fantastic first two years. An exceptional £60 million facility, the Hive has issued more than 2 million books and dramatically increased the learning resources, technology, study and social spaces available to University of Worcester students.
With over a quarter of a million books and 12 miles of archive collections, The Hive is no ordinary library. It has a busy events programme, with regular public lectures, exhibitions and performances.
As a public as well as university facility, The Hive has achieved its vision to inspire the people of the region to read for enjoyment and for education. Since it opened, book borrowing and library visitor numbers have soared, with an increase of over 200% in the number of books issued, and a 100% plus increase in visits compared to the previous public Worcester Library.
An award-winning student resource
In its first two years, The Hive's excellence as a student and public resource has been recognised by a host of awards. Some highlights include:
• Outstanding Library Team - Times Higher Leadership and Management Award
• Sustainability Award - RIBA Awards West Midlands
• Community Benefit Award - RICS Awards West Midlands
• Sustainable Project of the Year - Building Magazine
• Contribution to the local community through The Hive - Guardian University Award
• New build project of the year (value above £5 million) - CIBSE
• Building Excellence Award - South Worcestershire Building Control
• Best Sustainability in a Project - Public Private Partnership Awards
• Innovation in Generative Design - Bentley Be Inspired: Infrastructure Best Practices Symposium and Awards
Getting to The Hive
The Hive, Britain's first joint university and public library, offers a rich variety of resources for students and researchers.
Opened by Her Majesty The Queen, The Hive is an exceptional £60 million facility.With over a quarter of a million books and 12 miles of archive collections, The Hive is no ordinary library.