You are taught through a combination of interactive lectures, seminars and workshops. As part of this course, you will develop your learning and understanding by taking part in class trips which will immerse you in new technology and /or cultures.
Seminars enable the discussion and development of understanding of topics covered in lectures. Some modules will have workshops with practical skills whilst others include discussion, debate and critical analysis of media and/or culture. All modules will address at least one of the following:-
- Texts and Representations (e.g. the actual films, social media, news, television, magazines with regards to underlying ideologies etc.)
- Audiences and Consumption (e.g. our responses to news, film, social media, advertising, consumption, ideologies etc.)
- Production and Institutions (e.g. Hollywood dominating the film industry, media organisational structures etc.).
In a 'media society', where an understanding of how to communicate is all important, you will analyse Media and Culture in-depth, to understand the power of the media from a wide range of perspectives, exploring how the media operates, its impact on culture, society and ourselves.
You will develop skills of information search, comprehension, critical analysis and problem solving that will incorporate conceptual issues central to the field of media and cultural studies, and to synthesis and evaluate material.
You will have the opportunity to study a range of media from digital media such as YouTube to advertising, music along with more traditional media.
In the second year, there is the opportunity to engage with work projects to enhance your employability skills. Here, you can get the opportunity to work alongside some of our external contracts in the following areas:
- Digital marketing agencies
- Public relations agencies
- Local political party offices
- Award-winning web-based magazines
- Award-winning content creators
- Galleries and museums
- Local and national charities.
In addition to gaining working experience, we also organise regular networking events and professional talks with these external contacts. You can develop your practical skills in one of the optional modules in each of the three years.