The University promotes sustainable travel for students, staff and visitors. We have car share and bike loan scheme, cycle to work and subsidised bus tickets. Academic year long bus tickets for staff and students' valid on all First Bus Worcester City services cost £110 and 10 journey e-tickets are available. These e- tickets are not time limited, can be used on all Citywide First Bus services and at just £6 are great value for occasional bus use. A 50p ticket on all Worcester City services is also available to all staff and students. Tickets can be purchased on campus at Firstpoint.
Transport related carbon emissions currently account for 6,729.75 CO2e tonnes and is the second largest contribution to the university’s total carbon emissions. Many travel carbon savings have already been achieved through the 2008-2013 Travel Plan. The 2013-2018 Travel Plan has identified many new activities to help us achieve the following targets.
Our transport targets include:
- 25% reduction absolute tCO2e emissions from staff and students’ commuting to University on a daily basis by 2020 from a baseline 2010/11 of 6,843 tCO2e
- 5% reduction in the tC02e emissions from travel between students’ homes and the University by 2018 from a baseline 2010/11 of 2,891 tCO2e
- 20% reduction in the percentage of staff travelling by car alone to work by 2018 - i.e. a reduction from 55% in 2012 to 44% by 2018
- 20% reduction in the percentage of students travelling alone by car to the University by 2018 - i.e. a reduction from 24% in 2011 to 19% by 2018
- 10% reduction in the percentage of students travelling alone by car between their home address to term time address by 2018
How are we going to achieve these targets?
- Develop department pool bike pilot scheme, whereby departments have access to a bikes for intersite travel.
- Review use of fleet vehicles and consider investment in low emission vehicles
- Consider the introduction of pool cars for staff use in February 2017 once new travel management contract introduced.
- Review bus usage and investigate bus promotion offers to incoming students to discourage them bringing cars when attending university
Download our full current qualitative and quantitative targets and progress against targets from Carbon Management & Targets page.