Reducing energy consumption is a key priority for the University and we do this by investing in our infrastructure and equipment as well as by student and staff behaviour change programs. The steps required to do this are set out in an Energy Management Strategy and annual targets and current project examples are set out below.
The University hosts energy management students studying at the Département Génie Thermique et Energie in the French university, IUT de Belfort-Montbéliard. Embedded within the Estates department for 12 weeks placements students have looked at the University buildings performance and energy consumption, and assisted in Energize Worcester - phase two which to explores the wider role of technological innovation (smart boiler controls – apps to manage appliances in the home) in producing new opportunities for energy management for young people living in shared rental properties. The research includes 150 in-depth interviews with students and landlords to ascertain their attitudes to domestic energy management, and the opportunities and potential limitations to the effective operation of these novel systems.
Student Switch Off is an energy-saving campaign running in University of Worcester halls of residence. The campaign offers worthwhile incentives for student to change their energy behaviour. We track the energy-saving across the year and the hall that saves the most electricity is rewarded with a pizza and ice cream party.
- 5% p.a. reduction GHGe emissions in energy against a 2008/9 baseline from 2010 to 2020.
Increase renewable energy generation to 2% of total consumption by 2020.
Consumption targets for 2016-17
6% reduction in kWh gas consumption from 2015-16
6% reduction in total kWh electricity consumption from 2015-16
Some examples of how will we achieve our energy targets?
- Create an energy action plan for all University significant buildings to improve the DEC to target levels.
- Implement carbon reduction projects as set out in annual carbon projects plan by August 2017?
- Install fully functional fiscal meters on all sites and establish accurate synchronisation of all meters with aM&T system.
- Continue replacement programme of LED lighting with dimmable function and activity detection controls. Download our full current qualitative and quantitative targets and progress against targets from