EMDR Therapy MSc
What makes EMDR Therapy at Worcester special?
Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy is an evidence-based psychotherapy for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), psychological trauma and other mental health conditions.
At Worcester our unique, ground-breaking course enables mental health practitioners and professionals to further develop their understanding of psychological trauma and EMDR.
- validated by EMDR Europe and contains full EMDR Europe Training
- Ideal for mental health practitioners as well as those from cognate disciplines in relevant professions
- If you already have EMDR Europe Accreditation you can proceed straight into year two of the programme
- We are the first academic institution in the world to offer an MSc EMDR Therapy programme
What qualifications will you need?
Possession of a second class honours degree in a related subject or an equivalent relevant professional qualification acceptable to the University of Worcester.
- Clinical Psychologists (Registered with HCPC or PSI)
- Counselling Psychologists (Registered with HCPC or PSI)
- Psychiatrists (MRCPsych, SpR, SHO)
- Registered Mental Health Nurses
- Psychiatric Social Workers
- Suitably qualified or experienced researchers
- Accredited Counsellors/ Psychotherapists (BABCP, BACP, UKCP, IACT/IACP/Association of Christian Counsellors (Higher level), National Council of Psychotherapists (Mental Health Practitioners)
- Clinical & Counselling Psychologists in final year of training are acceptable with letter of recommendation from their supervisor
- Arts Therapists registered with HCPC with mental health training may be accepted
- Occupational Therapists registered with HCPC with mental health training may be accepted
Applicants need to be working in a relevant field and should specify how the nature of their current practice relates to their eligibility for attendance on the course on their application form and at interview.
I have attended lots of training since my doctorate, and I can safely say I have never gained so much from a course as this one.
What will you study?
Our courses are informed by research and current developments in the discipline and feedback from students, external examiners and employers. Modules do therefore change periodically in the interests of keeping the course relevant and reflecting best practice. The most up-to-date information will be available to you once you have accepted a place and registered for the course. If there are insufficient numbers of students interested in an optional module, this might not be offered, but we will advise you as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative.
- EMDR Therapy Training (EMDR Europe Accredited) – Completion Certificate
- Post Graduate Certificate EMDR Therapy (60 credits at Level 7)
- Post Graduate Diploma EMDR Therapy (120 credits at Level 7)
- MSc EMDR Therapy (180 credits at Level 7)
The start and finish dates for the programme are now available.
Teaching and Assessment
How will you be taught?
Throughout your MSc EMDR Therapy course you will develop a critical understanding of EMDR Therapy and apply this knowledge to therapeutic practice. The course uses a combination of learning styles, focusing on student engagement and independent learning. These teaching methods include:
- Practical sessions
- Small group discussions
- Individual research
- Supplementary reading
- Distance learning
The opportunity to discuss cases with peers as well as learn from others in similar positions is invaluable and one which cannot be duplicated.
Where could it take you?
Undertaking the MSc EMDR programme will enable students to further develop their skills and expertise in the field of psychological trauma.
As a Psychologist I have gained personally and professionally from taking this course and am applying so much more into my every day work and future plans.
How much will it cost?
For up-to-date course fee information visit the postgraduate section of our course fees page.
The Government will provide a loan of up to £10,609 per student for postgraduate Masters study. It will be at your own discretion whether the loan is used towards fees, maintenance or other costs.
For full details visit our postgraduate loans page.