Senior Lecturer in Secondary Education: Mathematics
Secondary and Post Compulsory Education
tel: 01905 855046
Jane's move into initial teacher education is the realisation of a long term ambition. The journey to get to this point has been an interesting and fulfilling one. Jane taught mathematics in secondary schools for 25 years and loved every minute of it. Four years as a Mathematics Adviser in a Local Authority School Improvement Team followed. A long-standing interest in teacher development has provided her with experience of mentoring student teachers, newly qualified teachers (NQTs) and aspiring middle leaders as well as developing and delivering training in a number of areas including assessment, curriculum development and subject leadership. Jane's position as a Deputy Headteacher provided a leadership role focused on planning and supporting a whole school continuing professional development (CPD) strategy which included initial teacher training, NQT induction, teaching and non-teaching staff professional development, Investors in People (IIP) status and the Performance Management process. This role together with her Advisory position has given Jane a broad understanding of school improvement strategies and how schools function.
Since joining the School of Education in September 2012, Jane has gained accreditation as a National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) Professional Development Lead. She has also made strong links with the local Maths Hubs when they were established in 2014-15 and has organised an annual Royal Institution Mathematics Masterclass series at the university since 2013.
Jane remains enthusiastic about teaching and learning mathematics and hopefully some of this enthusiasm rubs off on her trainees, teachers and other colleagues with whom she works!
- Post Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) The National College for School Leadership
- M Ed (Open) The Open University
- PGCE (with Distinction in Teaching Practice) University of Hull
- BSc (Hons) (Mathematics) University of Hull
Teaching & Research
- Mathematics Education (PGCE)
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement (Mathematics)
- Professional Studies
Jane is interested in how the beliefs and values about mathematics which trainees bring with them to teacher training influence the way in which they develop as a mathematics teacher and how these beliefs change over time. What are the implications for continuing professional development?
As part of the PGCert Jane completed a piece of action research exploring how a focus on self-awareness can support trainee mathematics teachers to develop resilience in their role.
Building mathematical resilience as a means of mitigating the effects of mathematics anxiety is another area of interest for Jane. Leading an innovation Work Group for the Central Maths Hub from 2015 2018 in the areas of self-efficacy, mindset and resilience has added to her knowledge in this important facet of mathematics education.
- Association of Teachers of mathematics (ATM)
- British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM)
- Member of The Association of Mathematics Education Teachers (AMET)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Ambassador
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Delivered a Workshop (Building Mathematical Resilience) at Primary Mathematics and Science Conference organised by Central Maths Hub and Science Learning Partnership Central Midlands (June 2018)
Delivered a presentation titled Does a specific focus on self-awareness support the development of resilience in trainee mathematics teachers? At the UoW Learning & Teaching Conference (July 2015)
Delivered a Workshop at UCET Conference (November 2014) on Building Resilience (in trainee teachers)
Contributed to the Royal Society Vision for the future of science and mathematics education at a workshop in June 2013
Contributed to ACME's policy on continuing professional development (CPD) during the 2013 ACME conference
- 2015 - 2017 External Examiner for Mathematics PGCE (Staffordshire University)
- 2016 - present External Examiner for Mathematics Education Modules (The Open University)
- 2017 - present Member of GLOW Maths Hub Strategic Board