Senior Lecturer and International Coordinator School of Education
Education and Inclusion
tel: 01905 542149
Gareth joined the University of Worcester in 2007. He is currently the Education Studies year one lead as well teaching on various modules of the degree and on Masters courses. He is proud to lead a module in which students can make all the choices about what they study, where they study and how they wish to be assessed! He has specific interests in teacher education and special and inclusive education in the contexts of resource poor countries, particularly in southern Africa. He is the international Co-ordinator for the School of Education.
Gareth started his professional career in supported housing for young people with a range of needs in the UK and the USA and quickly became interested in the ways that the service users learned various skills as well as the reasons as to why many had had very poor educational opportunities.
He moved into the Further Education sector, firstly in a residential college run by MENCAP and then as an access course leader in a large mainstream college. From there he spent a number of years involved in developing and running teacher education courses in Botswana focussing on special and inclusive education. He continues to be involved in education projects in southern Africa such as Teacher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa (TESSA), and the experiences of learners with albinism in the region.
- PGCE (Post 16; UEA)
- Diploma in Project Management (Damelin College; South Africa)
- MEd (Special Education, International; Manchester University)
- BSc (Hons) (Aberystwyth, University of Wales)
Teaching & Research
- Comparative education
- The Global Dimension in education
- Citizenship and education
- Researching education
- Special and inclusive education
- Teacher education in developing contexts.
- Special and inclusive education in developing contexts
- Academic engagement of undergraduate students
- National Association of Special Educational Needs - NASEN
- The British Educational Research Association BERA
- The Society for Educational Studies SES
- Teacher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa TESSA
- Botswana Education Research Association BERA
Dart, G., Bracken, S. & Pinheiro de Olivera, J. ‘Assessment Insights from the Margins: Garnering the Views of Disabled Learners through Lesson Study.’ In, Baughan, P. (Ed) (2021) Assessment and Feedback in a Post-Pandemic Era: A Time for Learning and Inclusion. AdvanceHE
Dart, G. (2021) SEND: A global perspective. In Sewell, A. and Smith, J. (Eds), Introduction to special education needs, disability and inclusion. Lond
Dart, G., Gunnell, J. & Matemba, J. (2019) Inclusive education for learners with albinism: a triple case study from Southern Africa. In Singal, L., Lynch, P. & Johansson, S. T. (Eds) Education and Disability in the Global South: New Perspectives from Asia and Africa. London: Routledge.