Dr Rhys Pritchard
Senior Lecturer in Primary Physical Education ITT Subject Lead
Rhys works in the School of Education and is the Subject lead for Primary Physical Education. He joined the University of Worcester in June 2018 from Cardiff Metropolitan University where he worked as a lecturer of Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. Previously, he taught in a variety of schools in Worcestershire and abroad in Dubai and Australia, experiencing both Primary and Secondary PE, but also in the classroom.
Rhys is a First Team Coach at Stourbridge Rugby Club who play in National 2 North and is currently undertaking his Welsh Rugby Union High Performing Coach qualification, the highest coaching qualification in the sport.
- Doctorate in Sports Coaching- Vygotsky in Practice: Applying Vygotskian notions to improve coach education in rugby union (Cardiff Metropolitan University)
- Masters in Sports Coaching (University of Wales Institute Cardiff)
- PGCE Primary (University of Worcester)
- Bsc (Hons) Sports Development (University of Wales Institute Cardiff)
Teaching & Research
- Sport Coaching and Physical Education Pedagogy
- Learning Theory
- Reflective Practice and Action Research
Rhys’s research interests are varied but primarily focuses on:
- Coach Development and Education
- Use of Game Centred Approaches
- Primary Physical Education
- Association for Physical Education (AfPE) - Member
- International Physical Literacy Association (IPLA) - Member
- British Educational Research Association (BERA) - Member
Pritchard, R and Morgan, K (in press). Developing rugby coaches’ understanding and application of game centred approaches
Pritchard, R. (2019). Marrying Theory to Practice: Using Vygotsky to Underpin Game Sense Pedagogy. In: C. Corsby and C. Edwards, ed., Exploring Research in Sports Coaching and Pedagogy: Context and Contingency. Newcastle Upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Pritchard, R. (2017). Developing Physical Literacy: A Reflective Case Study. Physical Education Matters, 12 (2), pp. 40-42
Pritchard, R. (2017). Improving Physical Education by Mentoring Primary Teachers. Physical Education Matters, 12 (2), pp. 63-64
Pritchard, R. (2017). 'Coach and player development through action research: developing game sense pedagogy by implementing Vygotsky's theory of concept formation in the coaching of rugby union.' Conference presentation, 3rd International Coaching Conference, Cardiff Metropolitan University, United Kingdom
Pritchard, R, Morgan, K and Thomas, G. (2019). ‘Rethinking the delivery of Game Centred Approaches: A focus on understanding’ Conference presentation, 4th International Coaching Conference, University of Worcester, United Kingdom.
- PGCE Primary PE Specialist Course: Sheffield Hallam University