Associate Head of the School of Education & Head of Department for Secondary and Post Compulsory Education
Senior Leadership Team
tel: 01905 855108
Before joining the University Alison was the Head of a large Design and Technology department. She taught her subject specialism (Design and Technology – Food and Textiles) for fifteen years. During this period Alison also worked for the exam board, OCR; her involvement included developing GCSE and Entry level qualifications and delivering CPD courses to teachers, this work led to a six-month secondment as a Design and Technology subject officer.
Since joining the University, Alison has undertaken a range of roles successfully. She developed and managed the Design and Technology ITE Programme which was awarded Outstanding by OFSTED. During this time Alison built her profile within the field of Design and Technology by writing school text books. The success in the role as subject leader has led to Alison moving into various management roles within the School of Education.
In 2003 Alison was responsible for developing the outstanding GTP Secondary programme and latterly in 2007 became the programme leader for the Secondary PGCE course. Recently Alison has also had responsibility for the development of partnership work across the School of Education, latterly this involved the introduction of the School Direct Route.
Alison is now leading a team of people as the Head of Department for Secondary and Post Compulsory Education. As an Associate Head of School Alison has responsibility for the recruitment of students to all courses within the School of Education.
Alison is currently the Chair of the Secondary Committee – UCET (The Universities Council for the Education of Teachers).
- Bachelor of Education (Hons)
- PG Cert in Higher Education
- MA Education
Teaching & Research
- Design and Technology (Food and Textiles)
- Professional Studies
- Enhancing Teaching and Learning Strategies (Masters Level)
- Mentoring and Coaching
- Recruitment and retention of trainee teachers
- Effective Mentoring of trainee teachers
- 2010 – Present - UCET (The Universities Council for the Education of Teachers)
Revise for OCR GCSE; Food Technology A. Winson, Heinemann (2002)
Contributions to books
How to be a Brilliant Design & Technology Mentor Ed Suzanne Lawson and Susan Wood-Griffiths (To be published 2019)
How to be a Brilliant Mentor Ed Trevor Wright Heinemann (2018)
Learning to Teach Design & Technology in a Secondary School Ed Gwyneth Owen-Jackson Routledge Falmer (2008)
A Practical Guide to teaching Design & Technology Ed Gwyneth Owen-Jackson Routledge, Taylor & Francis (2007)
Revise for OCR GCSE Food Technology (GCSE Food Technology for OCR) , Heinemann (2003)
GCSE Food Technology for OCR; Teachers Resource File, Heinemann (2002)
GCSE Textiles Technology for OCR; Teachers Resource File, Heinemann (2002)
- 2017-Present – Member of the UCET Executive
- 2017-Present – Chair of the UCET Secondary Committee
- 2014-2017 – Vice Chair of the UCET Secondary Committee
- 2014-2019 – Chief External Examiner PGCE, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 2009-2012 - External Examiner PGCE Design and Technology, University of Cumbria
- 2005-2009 - External Examiner PGCE Design and Technology, UWIC