If you are completely new to the world of TEFL and tempted by the idea of joining a CELTA course, then the taster day is for you. Through a fun and informative day of workshops and activities you will discover what's involved in teaching English as a second or foreign language either abroad or in the UK. The University has excellent teaching resources and the taster day will be presented by a qualified and experienced teacher trainer.
The one-day taster runs from 09:15 until 17:00 in the Jenny Lind building, City Campus.
Typical taster day
- 09:00-09:15 - Welcome
- 09:15-11:15 - TEFL contexts: What is TEFL? Where is it taught? Who are the learners? Why are they studying? You'll find out more about where English is taught and what motivates learners to learn.
- 11:15-11:30 Break
- 11:30-13:00 - Lesson observation: Video observation of an English language class followed by discussion and analysis of the lesson. You will have a guided observation of a language lesson (on DVD) including tasks and follow-up discussion on the skills the teacher employed.
- 13:00-13:45 Lunch - we do not provide lunch, but we have a canteen and a university shop.
- 13:45-15:15 - How to teach language: This is a practical workshop focusing on teaching grammar. Whether you know nothing about grammar or you are a grammar expert, this workshop will show you how grammar is nothing to be afraid of and that it can be taught in a fun and interesting way. You'll be shown how to present language and what's involved in language practice.
- 15:15-15:30 Break
- 15:30-17:00 - CELTA Q&A: We will round off the day with a discussion about the role of the teacher and of the CELTA and what the course involves and possible career paths it will enable you to pursue. There will also be time for questions about taking a CELTA at the University of Worcester.
Taster day costs
- £40.00, which will be deducted from the course fees for anyone who enrols on the full-time CELTA course at the University of Worcester.
- Free for University of Worcester students and staff.
Upcoming taster days:
- Dates for 2017/18 to be confirmed
Get in touch
- If you'd like to attend, please let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org and mark your email as 'CELTA taster day'.