Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and Needs Assessments

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and Needs Assessments

What is the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)? 
  •  A non means tested government allowance available to disabled students in Higher Education (including mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties like dyslexia or dyspraxia). 
  • It is there to cover the cost of disability related study support that might be necessary to enable a student to study more effectively. 

Examples of the type of support students might access can be found here.

The DSA is administered independently of the university and below is guidance about which Funding Body you should apply to and how to apply. However should you wish to discuss if, how or where to apply please contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service and a member of the team will be happy to help.

The application process for DSA  is a little lengthy so please apply as early as possible. For students starting in September you should be able to apply as early as the May prior to entry. 

Further information about the needs assessment referred to in the above guide http://www.nnac.org/students/sassa.php

How to reclaim your DSA general allowances [Word]

Students not entitled to Disabled Students Allowance

If you are ineligible for DSA, alternative funding may be available. Undergraduate students studying less than 50% of a full time course and most overseas and EU student do not qualify for this funding but are nevertheless encouraged to contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service to discuss the support that might be offered.

Please read the information on the Student Finance England website for more extensive information on DSA.

For further information / assistance in applying for the DSA please contact Firstpoint in the Peirson Study and Guidance Centre.

You can also set up a meeting to speak through DSA with one of our Disability Advisers at Firstpoint too.