Key features of this course:
- Exciting course for those with a passion and enthusiasm for sport, coaching and physical education
- Opportunity to progress to a wide range of sports-related degrees
- Embedded employability awards and nationally recognised coaching qualifications
- Taught by passionate, friendly and enthusiastic staff in state-of-the-art facilities
- Applied knowledge and understanding
- Excellent student support
- Valuable work-based experience
- Wide range of career opportunities
Do you have a passion and enthusiasm for sport? Are you interested in pursuing a career within sports coaching, PE teaching or sports science? Would you like the opportunity to progress to a degree? Gain valuable vocational skills and experience? Achieve nationally recognised coaching qualifications to enhance employability?
If you have said yes to any of the above the HND in Sport, Coaching & Physical Education is the perfect start to your career.
This new and exciting HND in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education is a two year full-time course that addresses the fundamentals underpinning sport, coaching and physical education. The wide range of modules are delivered within the university’s state-of-the-art sports facilities to allow the application of theory into practice. A variety of teaching, learning and assessment strategies are employed. The embedded nationally recognised coaching qualifications and employability awards provide you with a great foundation to apply for wide range of careers in sport. You will also have the opportunity to gain valuable vocational skills, work-based experience and employment. Staff are student-centred and provide excellent support and guidance to ensure you reach your academic potential and vocational goal.
180 UCAS Tariff points including GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade C or above
Access to Higher Education Diploma will be considered
Relevant vocational qualifications and experience may also be considered
An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check may be required for some modules
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed
The standard annual fee for full-time UK/EU students enrolling in 2015 is £9,000 per year. Part-time fees are generally charged on a pro rata basis.
For more details, please visit our course fees page.
Meet the team
Get to know our expert staff and meet some of the team who you'll be learning with at the University of Worcester:
Chris Cattell, Course Leader | Polly Christian, Lecturer | Gavin Thomas, Lecturer
- Course content
- Scientific Foundations of Sport
- Introduction to Sports Coaching
- Disability in Sport and PE
- Introduction to Socio-Cultural Issues in Sport
- PE: Context and Issues
- Sport in the UK
- Teaching Children to Play Games
- Leading and Managing Groups and Teams
- Application of Scientific Principles in Sport
- Pedagogy and Practice in Sports Coaching and Physical Education
- Research Methods
- Contemporary Issues in Sport
- Using Performance Analysis in Sport and PE
- Work Based Learning: Sport, Coaching and Physical Education
- Physical Activity, Health and Sport
- Sport in the Community
You will learn how to...
- Develop a broad and progressive level of knowledge, including understanding of different perspectives, academic writing, research and skills required for employment in the dynamic sport and exercise sector (team work, problem solving, ICT etc.)
- Utilise and apply concepts, models and practices in a wide variety of sport-related settings
- Engage effectively in analysis, reflection and evaluation of yourself and others
- Work independently whilst applying knowledge in work-related situations/scenarios
- Develop the skills and attributes to perform effectively in the domains of Sport, Coaching and Physical Education; demonstrating safety and ethical awareness whilst undertaking a range of leadership roles
- Lectures, seminars, demonstrations, sports-related simulations, tutorials, group and individual project work, supervised independent learning, directed study, open and resource-based learning, e-learning, work experience and placements
- Mix of tutor-led, student-led and independent learning
- Learning opportunities enable active assimilation, application, questioning, debate and critical reflection · Guest speakers and visits
- Application of theory and practice
The course provides an excellent foundation for a wide range of careers in sport including:
Sports graduates from the University of Worcester have gone on to gain employment in the following areas:
- Sport Community Coaching (including disability coaching career opportunities)
- Sport Performance Coaching
- Sport Development Officers
- Sports Marketing
- Performance Analysis
- PE teaching
- Armed Forces and Police
- Coaching Business Start-up
- Graduate level employment in the Private, Public and Voluntary Sectors.
Alternatively, you may wish to continue to study for a sports-related degree and other professional qualifications.
- How to apply
Apply through UCAS
Sport, Coaching and Physical Education (HND/SCPE) with course code C610
UCAS is the central organisation through which applications are processed for entry onto full-time undergraduate courses in Higher Education in the UK.How to apply