Sport, Coaching & Physical Education HND
Key features of this course:
- A dynamic and exciting course for those with an enthusiasm and passion for sport, coaching and physical education.
- Taught by passionate, enthusiastic and experienced lecturers in state-of-the-art sporting facilities.
- Opportunity to complete additional awards including nationally recognised coaching qualifications.
- Opportunity to progress to articulated degrees in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education upon graduation.
- Provides an excellent foundation for a wide range of careers within sport by meeting the needs of employers.
This new exciting HND in Sport, Coaching & Physical Education is a two year full-time qualification delivered by experienced well qualified experts from the Institute of Sport & Exercise Science.
The HND in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education is a two year full-time course which is run directly by the University of Worcester. This creative and innovative course provides students with an opportunity to develop their theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the areas of Sport, Coaching and Physical Education. Each module is delivered within the university’s state-of-the-art sports facilities to integrate theory and practice. A variety of teaching, learning and assessment strategies are employed; allowing students to develop the attributes associated with the study of sport at Higher Education.
Throughout the course students will have the opportunity to work within a variety of sports environments with a range of sporting populations including children, elite, intermediate, novice and disabled athletes. The course provides an excellent foundation for a wide range of careers within sport by meeting the needs of employers. Students will develop professional skills through vocational opportunities therefore; graduates will be well placed to work within the sports industry. Upon successful completion of the course there is an opportunity for progression to articulated degrees in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education. This is a dynamic and exciting course for those with an enthusiasm and passion for sport, coaching and physical education.
180 UCAS Tariff points including GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade C or above
A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) may be required for some modules
The standard annual fee for full-time UK/EU students enrolling in 2014 is £8,900 per year. Part-time fees are generally charged on a pro rata basis.
For more details, please visit our course fees page.
You will be based at the University of Worcester. Students have access to the state-of-the art facilities including BASES accredited laboratories, Sports Hall, Fitness suites, 3G Astroturf, playing fields, new Arena and Motion Performance Centre.
Nationally recognised qualification that prepares you for work in the sporting industry.
Exciting range of modules and work placement opportunities giving you the chance to use skills in a work-based environment.
You will learn how to...
- Develop a broad and progressive level of knowledge, including understanding of different perspectives, academic writing, research skills and skills required for employment in the dynamic sport and exercise sector (team work, problem solving, ICT etc.)
- Utilise and apply concepts, models and practices in a wide variety of sport-related settings.
- Engage effectively in analysis, reflection and evaluation of yourself and others.
- Work independently whilst applying knowledge in work-related situations/scenarios.
- Develop the skills and attributes to perform effectively in the domains of Sport, Coaching and Physical Education; demonstrating safety and ethical awareness whilst undertaking a range of leadership roles.
- Lectures; seminars; demonstrations; sports-related simulations; tutorials, group and individual project work; supervised independent learning; directed study; open and resource-based learning; e-learning; and work experience and placements.
- Teaching involves large and small group sessions and seminars.
- Lecturers include a mix of tutor-led, student-led and independent learning.
- Learning opportunities enable active assimilation, application, questioning, debate and critical reflection.
- Guest speakers and visits form part of the learning process.
- Practical and pedagogical sessions promote and reinforce the application of theory and practice
- Scientific Foundations of Sport
- Introduction to Sports Coaching
- Perspectives on Inclusion and Disability in Sport and PE
- Introduction to Socio-Cultural Issues in Sport
- PE: Context and Issues
- Sport in the UK
- Teaching Children to Play Games
- Leading and Managing Groups and Teams
- Application of Scientific Principles in Sport
- Pedagogy and Practice in Sports Coaching and Physical Education Research Methods
- Contemporary Issues in Sport
- Using Performance Analysis in Sport and PE
- Work Based Learning: Sport, Coaching and Physical Education
- Physical Activity, Health and Sport
- Sport in the Community
With more people playing sport and engaging in physical activity there are many new additional job opportunities in this sector.
Sports graduates from the University of Worcester have gone on to gain employment in the following areas: Sport Community coaching (including disability coaching career opportunities); Sport performance coaching; Sport Development officers; Sports Marketing; Performance Analysis; PE teaching; Armed forces & Police; Coaching business start-up; Graduate level employment in the Private, public and voluntary sectors. Alternatively, there are opportunities to continue to postgraduate study and other professional qualifications.
Apply through UCAS
Sport, Coaching and Physical Education (HND/SCPE) with course code C610
UCAS is the central organisation through which applications are processed for entry onto full-time undergraduate courses in Higher Education in the UK.How to apply
Visit our Clearing pages or call the Clearing Hotline on 01905 855111 to find out how you could still join us in 2014.
A celebration of the achievements of Worcester alumni - an inspiration to future students.
Starting university life is an exciting and challenging time and arranging a place to live is high on the list for many students...
page as a PDF