The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA) scheme combines the practical experience of practical workplace experience with degree level university teaching.
Hailed as a new standard for professionalising and unlocking the potential of managers and leaders, it offers an opportunity to achieve Chartered Manager status, enhanced leadership and management competency, professional qualifications and a degree.
- For Employers
How does a Degree Apprenticeship work?
A degree apprenticeship offers you the opportunity to employ and develop staff with government funding support. Your apprentices can be a new recruit or existing member of staff. During their apprenticeship, your employees will have the opportunity to attend university on a one day per week basis, obtain a degree and apprenticeship qualification. This will take 3+ years.
How does government funding work?
The following arrangements will apply for all UK employers from April 2017:
- Employers with a payroll of more than £3 million per year will pay an Apprenticeship Levy of 0.5%. This will provide an allowance to ‘spend’ against apprenticeships via a digital account.
- Employers with a payroll less than £3 million will not pay a Levy, but will still have access to 90% funding via a ‘co-fund mechanism’, to support their own degree apprenticeships. Here, the employer contribution will be 10% towards the tuition fee.
Click here for more details on government funding.
What are the benefits to an employer?
The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA) has been designed by employers for employers as a mechanism to invest in talent and develop the leaders of the future. It offers:
- the opportunity to upskill your workforce
- attract new talent
- develop the skills to build your business
- an estimated potential lifetime of added value from each apprentice of £390,000+ during the course of their careers
The University of Worcester Degree Apprenticeship Scheme
The University of Worcester is one of a small number of universities currently approved by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) to deliver the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CDMA) through its FdA/BA (Hons) Leadership and Management degree. This degree provides your employees with the knowledge, skills and behaviour requirements required to enhance organisational performance, interpersonal excellence and personal effectiveness as defined by the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship Standard. As part of their apprenticeship, students will study at the University one day per week.
- For Apprentices
What is A Degree Apprenticeship
A degree apprenticeship enables you to study for a degree at no fee cost, and with no need for a student loan, whilst in receipt of a salary from your employer.
Who is the CMDA for?
The CMDA is suitable for learners who are currently working in the private or public sector, voluntary sector organisations; SMEs or larger corporates, who aspire to developing their career, through a combination of taught techniques, coaching and on-the-job learning.
How does this work at the University of Worcester?
The University of Worcester is one of a small number of universities accredited to offer the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship scheme. You will attend the University one day per week, to gain the knowledge, skills and behaviour to enhance organisational performance, as well as your own personal effectiveness and interpersonal excellence. You will then apply this learning in your place of work.
What are the benefits for an apprentice?
The CMDA is a highly innovative and flexible route to enhance your career, earnings and personal fulfilment. Specifically it offers you the opportunity to:
- Gain a degree while you work
- Earn a regular salary and have no need for a student loan to fund your study
- Boost your income – typically graduates can expect to earn at least £100,000 more over their lifetimes than someone who didn’t go to university
- Fit work and study into your working week
- Apply your study to your workplace (something which you understand)
- Build a portfolio of work-based material to enhance your existing career and your CV
- Access all course materials conveniently online
- Course Content
What will I study?
You will study a range of modules, which include leadership, management, organisational behaviour, finance, selling, innovation, digital marketing, change management and management decision making. You will also undertake a number of ‘work-based’ modules, where you will have the opportunity to undertake work-based initiatives to make a visible difference to your organisation and to your own CV. This will be tied into your workplace responsibilities and role. For more specific details of modules at each year of study, please visit the Course Content section of the FdA/BA (Hons) Leadership & Management page.
What qualification will I receive on successful completion of my apprenticeship and how long will it all take?
At the end of your apprenticeship you will receive:
- An FdA Leadership and Management degree from the University of Worcester (available after two years)
- A BA (Hons) Leadership and Management degree from the University of Worcester (available after three years)
- A Level 5 Chartered Management Institute Diploma in Management and Leadership (after 3 years)
- Chartered Manager status. This is awarded by the Chartered Management Institute, following confirmation of the award of your university degree and completion of an End Point Assessment, a common element of all Degree Apprenticeships. This will mean that it will take in excess of three years in total to obtain your apprenticeship award.
How will I be taught and supported through my programme?
Teaching will take place at the University’s City Campus, in the heart of the Worcester’s business district, 3 minutes’ walk from Foregate Railway Station. You will be taught by tutors with experience of leadership, business, management and consultancy in a range of workplace settings.
Throughout your course you will be supported by your Course Leader Dr Scott Andrews.
All learning materials will be available on the University’s Virtual Learning Environment, and you will have full access to the University’s online Library, as well a range of other University Services and facilities.
- Get in Touch